Chicken pot pie is one of those dishes that is a standard at my house. Its homestyle feel makes it the ultimate comfort food on both cold and hot days, and the melding of flavors makes it hard to remember that this recipe is void of gluten, egg, wheat, soy, and corn.
Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie
Homestyle chicken pot pie devoid of wheat, eggs, gluten, soy, and corn
Allergen Friendly Family.com
- 6 units gluten free pie crusts
- 2/3 cup butter substitute vegan
- 1 white onion diced
- 2/3 cup flour substitute gluten free
- 1 tbsp pepper (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tbs salt (OPTIONAL)
- 3 cups chicken broth organic
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk (or coconut)
- 3 lbs shredded chicken breasts (crock pot overnight)
- 5 cups preferred vegetables diced
preheat oven to 425 F
in stockpot, melt butter substitute
add onions to butter substitute until onions become translucent
add flour and make a roux
stir in salt, pepper, chicken broth, and rice milk
stir constantly until mixture becomes bubbly and thick
add chopped vegetables and shredded chi ken into broth mixture. stir
spoon mixture into bottom pie crusts
put top pie crusts onto bottom pie crusts and seal edges (remember to make a slit for air to escape while baking)
bake for 20 minutes.
put aluminum foil around edges of pie. bake for an additional 20 min or until golden brown
rice milk takes slightly longer than cow's milk to thicken - it's simply the chemical makeup
Items you’ll need:
- 6 gluten free pie crusts
- (can be bought premade from one of the natural food stores or made- I will post my recipe shortly and be sure to link to it)
- roughly 2/3rds of a cup of your favorite butter substitute
- (we prefer earth balance, but there are numerous choices out there)
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- slightly less than 2/3rds of a cup of your favorite flour substitute
- (this seems to be one of those things that everyone has an opinion on, each person has that brand that they swear by)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups organic chicken broth + reserve stock from prepared chicken
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk
- (can be any type of milk, I use rice milk because it tastes the most like milk and doesn’t have the same after taste as nut based)
- 3 lbs baked and shredded chicken breasts
- roughly 4-5 cups of vegetables chopped
- any vegetables work
This is really one of those recipes that you can make however you want. We have allergies from everything to gluten to corn in my family, so we keep vegetables simple- green beans, carrots, peas, and potatoes- but you can really dump any vegetables you want in here.
Process- Night Before:
With a house that is typically full of people and their accompanying noise and drama, I am a firm believer in crock pot cooking to shorten prep time. To cook the chicken for this recipe, I put 3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot the night before along with about 1/2 an inch of water, a few tablespoons of butter substitute, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and a few pieces of onion. Put the crockpot on low and let it go overnight- by morning you will have perfectly shredded chicken and some extra savory stock to go with it.
Process- Day of:
(1) preheat oven to 425
(2) Melt butter. Add onions and cook until the onions become translucent. Add flour and make a roux.
(3) Stir in salt, pepper, broth, chicken stock, and milk until it bubbles and becomes thick. Don’t worry if it takes longer than you would expect to thicken. Because it is not dairy milk, it will take longer to bubble, but with a little patience and a lot of whisking, it will thicken up.
(4) Add chopped vegetables and shredded chicken into the broth mixture and stir.
(5) Spoon mixture into bottom pie crusts.
(6) Put top pie crusts onto bottom pie crusts and seal edges- remember to make a slit for air to escape while baking.
(7) Bake for 20 minutes. Pull out of oven and put aluminum foil around the edges. Bake for another 20 minutes- or until golden brown.